Thursday 18 July 2013

Drugtesting Revisited

Having come off the WADA "My Whereabouts" database earlier in the year, drug testing has been pushed to the back of my mind. However, I do believe that there is no real excuse for failing a drugs test, as you should know what you are putting into your body (even if it's just chocolate!). I know that any runner such as myself can be subjected to random tests, especially at the end of big road races such as Comrades, but I did not really think of trail racing as having the same testing procedures. Naive of me I guess, as there's no reason why trail runners should be exempt.
Hence it came as a bit of a surprise when I was stopped by one of the IAAF testers at the end of the World Trail Championships and taken off to the "testing tent". They were testing the ladies that finished in positions 1, 3 and 4  so unfortunately I was one of the lucky few!!!
Being tested in such circumstances was certainly interesting - samples have to be provided with a witness present - and portaloos are small enough when you are just trying to fit inside yourself, never mind fitting two people in. Luckily I was allowed to bring Eleanor (the ladies' team manager) along with me, so she could stand guard at the open door, as we were actually in a field with other finishers walking past, but hey......on a positive note, at least I had the privacy of the portaloo to get changed in afterwards!
Ah.....the glamourous world of running!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment