Thursday 16 November 2017

Friends and Family :-)

Maybe I was being very naive, but I'd honestly thought that once I'd worked out my 6 months' notice period and changed from being a GP partner to a locum, I'd have "more time". Time....you know....that precious commodity nobody has enough of, used for sleeping, cleaning, gardening, doing chores....and just generally relaxing.

As it turns out, I hadn't factored in important things such as how much my family and friends mean to me. I've always thought that I lived rather a selfish lifestyle, but actually I've realised that I'd probably do almost anything for a friend in need. This has meant that I've spent an awful lot of time in my car over the past few weeks, visiting friends near and far to support them when required (yes....running, eating and drinking with them, but mainly just being there and listening if that was what was wanted). I've also realised that although to my mind, my parents are still young, fit and active.....time does pass by and every minute I spend with them is precious.

38/40 and still hill racing!
DRC at Tinto Hill Race
Yes, I still love my work and my running, but recently I have been trying to fit everything in and so at times, I've been exhausted. Take last weekend for example.....I met a friend south of the Lake District to pass on a trophy for someone else who was unable to do so themselves and to swop some kit (I love the fact that we runners can call on each other to borrow random items such as a vest, a jacket, a scalpel or an anti venom pump). Then I drove up north to meet up with some friends for possibly the last time before "2 becomes 3" .....and we squeezed in a hill race, which several of my clubmates were also at (how my friend ran so well at 38 weeks pregnant is beyond me!).

A slight "sufferfest" at the 10K
Is it ever warm on Newcastle Town Moor?
After dinner I jumped in my car and drove down to see my parents as I didn't know when we'd next fit in a catchup. After breakfast the next day, and before meeting a good friend (who's had a tough time recently) for lunch, I squeezed in a 10k as I knew that would make me get out and run, even if I didn't really feel motivated to do so.

I drove for a couple of hours to get home, and then felt guilty that the out of hours service was understaffed so went in to work for a couple of hours. That evening I was so tired that I physically ached, but life's for living........I can't imagine being without my family and friends, and know they will be there for me if ever I need them, so what's a few hours of driving between us? 



No comments:

Post a Comment