Monday 12 March 2018

Getting Perspective....

The run route
When I originally entered Motatapu (an off-road 42k run from Wanaka to Arrowtown) it had been as a recovery event after Tarawera.....and as an excuse to visit the South Island of NZ, which doubled up as a perfect opportunity to catch up with friends. Having not been able to run, I decided to still go for the catchup, but the run itself didn't seem that likely. 

 
The run profile
Beautiful Queenstown in the cool early morning
Motatapu is an interesting event as the land is privately owned (by Shania Twain.....hence the views "don't impress me much") and access to the public is only allowed on one day a year, hence the glut of events (four off road runs, a mtnbike race and a triathlon) on that day. The course profile of the 42k looked like it climbed steadily up to the highest point (at about 27km) and then was a constant descent to the finish. As I was only in the country for a short period of time, there was no point to even try to persuade the organisers to defer my place for a year, so I talked it through with my cousin Anne, and decided that I might as well enjoy the day out. Many people enter the event as "walkers" so I'd aim to run/jog/walk up to the high point at 27km and then do a controlled walk downhill for the last 15k limiting the impact on my recovering shin (and hopefully letting me enjoy the scenery with my current fitness level).

How amazing is the "Wanaka tree" in the lake?
I did wonder why I had to catch the bus to the start (the 10:15am start) at 7:15 am in Queenstown, but it became clear when I realised how slowly the bus travelled along the winding roads as we only got to the start area just before 10. I can't complain about the drive there too much (although I did end up eating a significant amount of the food I'd put in my "post run" bag as we went) as the scenery was beautiful, especially as we travelled along the edge of Lake Wanaka. 

Obviously a nonsponsored runner
from the variety of kit!
Both the triathlon and the mountain bike race had started earlier in the morning by the shores of the lake, but we were driven a further 5k up the dirt road to our start (well, to where they were hastily trying to erect a gantry across the track). The day didn't exactly bode well for the couple of bikers we saw that were already walking, pushing their bikes up the hills.

There was a van to dump bags in for transport to the finish, a line of portaloos for "panicpees", a briefer than brief briefing, no compulsory kit check, and we were off. Surprisingly (well to me anyway) the dirt road descended rather steeply down to a creek after the start, but then started to ascend. The first 10k were undulating but generally uphill and the field quickly spread out. By the time I'd run a couple of kms, I'd started to pick off the slowest bikers and had settled into a "position" into the field. I could see the leading lady quite a distance ahead, and another lady (from Dunedin) and I kept swopping positions. I found this quite unsettling as I felt that I was running a relatively constant pace, but I'd either drop her quickly or she'd shoot past.

Looking down on some of the route
The first aid station was just after 9km and I managed to hold back on the descent into it (even though my shin wasn't hurting). I only found water and electrolyte drink there, which was rather disappointing as cliff bars had been advertised and I wanted to restock some of the food in my pack which I'd started to eat. After that aid station the route climbed more and more. After another km or two, I realised that I'd opened up a decent gap between us after passing the other lady, and now I was more focussed on avoiding mountain bikers. I'd pass them on the climbs but they'd pick up speed on any slight descents......though the biggest problem came with people cycling in groups as they'd spread/wobble across the track as the incline increased, or there'd be a pack sitting on a bend waiting for slower friends to catch up. I was still managing to run every step, but as the leading lady had been doing some power walking, I was reeling her back in gradually.

The rescue helicopter crew
I had heard that there were many "river" crossings in the latter stages of the event, but by the 14-15k point, I was still splashing my way through my 4th creek. As I rounded a corner climbing out of this I spotted  (well I couldn't miss him) a man lying on his back in the track with a group huddled around him. People say that I "made the right decision" in stopping to offer my help, but to my mind there was no decision to make......I don't think you would hesitate but to offer assistance to anyone that needed it. 

Let's just say that despite CPR performed by myself and passing paramedics, we were unsuccessful in out resuscitation, but, as I said to the gentleman's partner (who he'd been cycling with), he passed away doing what he loved, with the woman he loved, in a beautiful place.....and it did rather put everything else we might have all been moaning about recently (yes, I know I've probably been a nightmare going on about my leg and not being able to run) into perspective. 


Arriving back at the airport
Coming back towards Queenstown
Not exactly how I thought the day would turn out, and my heartfelt sympathies are with his family, though I guess that I now have a reason to return - as amazing as the helicopter ride was, I would have loved to have finished the course on my own 2 feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment